In this post, I will share with you a step-by-step on how to connect your Roborock to Alexa. I’ll be using the Roborock S7 and an Android phone with the Roborock app while writing this article. I’ll be connecting via the Alexa app using Alexa Skills to ink with my Amazon Echo. However, the steps will be the same on iOS, so you can still take advantage of this helpful guide.
But, almost all of Roborock’s robot vacuums are voice-activated and compatible with Amazon Alexa, so these steps should work for any Roborock S-series vacuum cleaner model.
How to connect Roborock S7 to Alexa
Connecting your Roborock to Alexa Amazon Alexa is straightforward enough. Just follow these steps:
First of all, make sure you download the Amazon Alexa app from the App or Play Store and log in if you haven’t already. You must also have the Roborok app installed and logged in with an active account.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app and press the “Skills and Games” option.
- Tap on the search icon at the top of the screen and type in Roborock
- You will have a couple of options, but if you are using the Roborock app, you want the Roborock Plus option, so tap on it. The Roborock Home option for older Roborock robot vacuums that use the Mi Home app.
- Once chosen, press the Enable to use button.
- Alexa will ask for authorization to control devices in your Roborock account. Press the blue button to confirm.
- If you are logged into your Roborock account, the link will happen automatically. If not, you will be prompted to log in. Once you have, Roborock Plus and Alexa will link. Once you see the confirmation, you can press the close button.
- You can now launch the Roborock Plus skill to control your vacuum or use the voice controls via any Amazon Alexa connected device.
- When launching, the app will scan for devices to connect to, so ensure that your Roborock vacuum is on and connected to the WiFi.
- Choose the device that you use for voice commands, In my case, my Echo. Once connected, you will get a confirmation screen.
It’s that simple! You’ll see your Roborock listed under Devices > Vacuum cleaners.
If you need to connect more devices or remove them, just go to the Alexa Skills page, choose “Your skills,” find Roborock Plus, open it and go to the setting page. All that is left to do is tell Alexa to have Roborock start cleaning your home and let the magic happen.
Why connect your Roborock S7 to Alexa
You might want to connect your Roborock S7 to Alexa for many reasons. One of the most obvious benefits is convenience. Once your vacuum cleaner is connected to Alexa, you’ll be able to start and stop cleaning sessions with just a few simple voice commands. This can be a real lifesaver if you’re forgetful (like me) or tend to get busy and overwhelmed (also like me!).
What commands can my Roborock understand via Alexa?
You can use the following voice commands to tell your vacuum what to do in your home, from starting and stopping to checking its status or sending it back to its charging station.
To start your Roborock vacuum, you can say:
- Alexa, ask Roborock to clean
- Alexa, ask Roborock to start cleaning
- Alexa, ask Roborock to vacuum
- Alexa, ask Roborock to start vacuuming
The cool thing is, if you have multiple devices set up, you can also append the name of the vacuum to your command. The name can be set easily in the setting of your Roborock app, and you just add it to the end of the phrase. For example, mine would be:
“Alexa, ask Roborock to start cleaning with Optimus Grime”
Then it knows what vacuum to clean with. Of course, this command feels best when you choose an epic name for your robot vacuum.
A recent update has allowed the much-demanded feature of specific room cleaning. You can activate this with the following commands:
- Alexa, ask Roborock to clean the “bedroom”
- Alexa, ask Roborock to start cleaning the “living room”
- Alexa, ask Roborock to start vacuuming in the “entrance”
Just remember you will need to set your map up in the Roborock app first and name your rooms.
To stop, it is pretty much the same pattern, again, you can add the name at the end if you like.
- Alexa, ask Roborock to stop
- Alexa, ask Roborock to stop cleaning
- Alexa, ask Roborock to stop vacuuming with “Optimus Grime”
You can also pause cleaning.
- Alexa, ask Roborock to pause
- Alexa, ask Roborock to pause cleaning
- Alexa, ask Roborock to pause cleaning with “Optimus Grime”
- Alexa, ask Roborock to resume
- Alexa, ask Roborock to resume with “Optimus Grime”
You can also use Alexa to locate your Roborock if it has decided to get wedged somewhere … or you just want it to say hello!
- Alexa, ask Roborock to say hi
- Alexa, ask Roborock to say hi for me
- Alexa, ask Roborock to say where is my “Optimus Grime”
You can get status updates:
- Alexa, ask Roborock to tell me what it’s doing?
- Alexa, ask Roborock to tell me what is my vacuum doing
- Alexa, ask Roborock to give me an update
Also send it back to the charging dock if you like:
- Alexa, ask Roborock to dock
- Alexa, ask Roborock to send “Optimus Grime” home
- Alexa, ask Roborock to recharge
Finally, you can change mode:
- Alexa, ask Roborock to change mode
- Alexa, ask Roborock to change to silent
- Alexa, ask Roborock to change to balanced
- Alexa, ask Roborock to change to turbo
- Alexa, ask Roborock to change to Max
You can see more about these modes and which is best for each cleaning session in the Roborock app.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you name a Roborock vacuum?
After you have connected your vacuum to your WiFi, you will see an image of the model connected on opening the app. If you tap and hold on the image, you will have a few options appear. One of these will be to name your robot. Select it and type in an awesome name.
Can I name rooms with Roborock?
Yes. You can do this in the Roborock App. After the first couple of cleans, the robot will have built a map of your floor plan. When you open the app, you will see the floor plan if you press the blue button to enter the specific model. From here you can press the three buttons top right and go to Manage Maps. If you have multiple floors, select the one you are naming and press the edit icon, then edit room. Here you can refine the dividers of the rooms, split or merge rooms and also name them.
Can you send the robot to clean a specific room?
Yes! This is still a relatively new feature, but you can now tell your vacuum to clean a specific room by name. You’ll first need to name your rooms in the Roborock app to do this. Once that’s done, you can use commands like “Alexa, ask Roborock to clean the living room” or “Alexa, ask Roborock to vacuum the bedroom.”
Can you use Alexa to control multiple Roborock vacuums?
Yes! If you have multiple Roborock vacuums set up in your home, you can append the name of the vacuum to your commands. For example, “Alexa, ask Roborock to start cleaning with Optimus Grime.”
Does it work with the Mi Home app?
The Roborock Plus skill will not work with the Mi Home app. You will need to connect with the Roborock Home skill instead.
The wrap up
So there you go, everything you need to know about using Alexa to control your Roborock vacuum. Stay tuned for more tips and tricks in the future!
Matt is the founder of the Little Robot Shop, who has spent much of the last decade hacking home cleaning with various robots and devices to make keeping his home clean as easy as possible. Not an easy task with two young children.
When not working on the Little Robot Shop website or YouTube channel, he works as technical support and product specialist for a fast-growing digital company. He does his best to get his younglings to code, which will be an essential skill in the future.