Are you looking for robotic kits that can are sot on for those that are looking to get into programming and want something fun, but still a bit of a challenge? Well, you have reached the right place as we are about to introduce 14 of the best programmable robot kits for beginners.
If you chose any of these products, you could be sure that they will be a great introduction to robotics and coding. Whether you are looking for a programmable robot kit to launching yourself into robotics or a gift, we have you covered.
Our top programmable robot kits for beginners
Rough Price Guide
As the price on Amazon is often changing, I have used the ? symbol as a guide:
- ? – Up to $25
- ?? – Around $25 to $50
- ??? – between $50 and $100
- ???? – From $100 – $200
- ????? – Over $200
*The links in this page are affiliate links, that means that if you purchase after following one, I make a small commission from the sale at no additional cost to yourself. Take a look at our About Us page for more info on this.
Sillbird STEM 12-in-1 Education Solar Robot – ??
This solar robot is an excellent introduction to robotics. Twelve different robot styles can be built from a single kit. The levels can be manipulated in such a way that the robot is the entry-level for a small child while it can also become a sophisticated robot for older ones. Also, because this is a solar robot, you do not need to invest in any batteries.
When bought for a child, it is a perfect way of introducing problem-solving skills. The style of the robot depends upon the child’s creativity and intelligence and as such, is an excellent choice in our list of STEM robots.
- No batteries are required.
- It is a 12 in one kit with different styles.
- It is durable and can be used for beginners to professionals.
- It is a perfect way of improving problem-solving skills in children.
- The plastic is Non-toxic and of premium quality.
- Availability may be an issue.
Robobloq Q- Dino 2 in 1 Robot kit – ????
Robots and dinosaurs, what is not to love about that! Yes, you read that right this robot is a cute dinosaur that is one of my favorite programmable robot kits for beginners. It comes in 231 pieces with additional sensors and drivers. You can also connect it with your device and download an app to do some fun things with this robot. It plays games, and it talks, it works and does some very cool things that any robotics enthusiast will love!
- This set includes ultrasonic sensors and DC motor drivers.
- It can be easily connected to a smart device.
- It is an educational robot.
- It is compatible with Windows, Linux, Chrome as well as Mac.
- It has small parts which are not suitable for little children.
- It can be expensive for some buyers.
LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 31313 Robot Kit – ?????
This option is for all ages. The only requirement is that the person you are buying it for should love coding and robots. This robot will make engineering fun for anyone who uses it. Builders can program this little kit to talk, walk, and shoot. You can get as creative as you want while building it. It includes servo motors, IR sensors, etc. It can also be connected to your smart device.
- It is suitable for kids from age 10 to 15.
- It is a perfect educational robot.
- One can build 17 different designs from this single kit.
One can explore endless learning opportunities with the app.
- It has very unique features, including walking, talking, etc.
- Some users reported it to be a little intimidating for younger kids.
Thames & Kosmos Remote-Control Machines – ???
If you’re buying this robot for an astronomy enthusiast, then you are in luck. When a Mars rover combines with programming, then this robot is formed. One can make a robotic rover that represents the ones that NASA sends to other planets. It is composed of 237 pieces and comes with a manual that explains every procedure thoroughly. For NASA fans and programmers, this machine kit can be a perfect gift idea.
- It is a great robot option for anyone who loves space and science.
- It is recommended for children from age 8 to 15 years.
- There is an illustrated manual included that will help kids assemble the parts quickly.
- There are additional space-themed models also.
It looks very cool once entirely made.
- Some users reported that the parts are easily breakable.
- It takes very long to assemble.
Suggested post: Robot toys for 10 year olds and up
Snap Circuits Classic SC-300 Electronics Exploration Kit – ??
If you are looking for a low-budget yet entertaining kit, then your search ends here. With this electronics kit, you can build more than 300 experiments with only 60 parts. If this in its self does not sound appealing, then there’s more for you. You can make an AM radio, a lie detector, finger touch lamp, a photosensitive electronic organ, and a lot more with this cool exploration kit. The parts that are included with this kit are snap wires, light switch, resistor, microphone, capacitors, etc.
- It is excellent for children from seven years and up.
It is an award-winning product.
- It does not require any soldering.
- Circuit parts do not need any tools and can be clicked together easily.
- The products can be made next level according to the manipulation of the builder.
It truly enhances creativity.
- Four AA batteries are required, but they are not included in the set.
Meccano-Erector – Micronoid Code A.C.E. Programmable Robot Building Kit – ??
This robot interactive and being easily programmable. The micronoid robot can act as your personal DJ. It will play your favorite tunes when you switch on the DJ mode. It is an excellent option if you want to introduce some fun along with science, technology, engineering, and math for your kids or want a cool construction project.
It comes with an instruction sheet which will be great for quick building.
- The building of this robot can be completed in less than one hour.
- A very well-known brand makes it.
- These robots are available in a variety of different models.
- If you buy multiple of these, then they can interact and converse with one another also.
- An adult may have to assist kids in building it.
- The bolts don’t go in smoothly.
4M Table Top Robot – ?
This weird looking tabletop robot can be constructed in the form of a crab that changes directions when it encounters an obstacle. You do not need any prior knowledge of programming while building this one. This is a great idea to enhance a child’s imagination and promote creativity. It is an excellent educational robot and will help anyone who is looking forward to some necessary engineering skills.
- This robot kit is recommended for kids that are aged to 8 years old and more.
- It requires a quirky imagination, and your child will love it.
- It is very educational and can be used to promote STEM activities.
- No specialized knowledge or tools are required.
- A detailed instruction booklet is included.
- It requires one AAA battery which is not included.
- It might be too easy to assemble, and your child may get bored with it quickly.
Makeblock DIY Ultimate Robot Kit – ?????
This is one of Amazon‘s choice products and should be certainly consider one of the premium programmable robot kits for beginners. The full kit includes ten different buildings forms that introduce some robotics, electronics, graphical programming, and Python programming. There are three powerful motors which enable you to guess the next step of the robot. It is also equipped with Bluetooth connections so you can connect it to any smart device.
- It includes ten different building forms.
- The mechanical parts are anodized with aluminum.
- These parts have threaded slots so they can connect easily.
- The encoder motors are potent.
- It is Bluetooth enabled.
- You have to make sure that you update the firmware.
- The instructions could have been better.
EZ-Robot Developer Kit – ????
This is one of the best educational robot kits for beginners. It is a powerful one, and one can enhance the skill level as per their brain capacity. It is a STEAM generous gift for teenagers and will provide a fun-filled experience of science and technology. It is a low energy product and does not create a lot of heat. As such, it can be referred to as two as environment-friendly. A very reliable brand manufactures it.
- It is an ideal gift for a child that is more than 12 months.
- It is an energy-efficient design.
- Your kid can build a dream robot from scratch.
- The software is compelling, and the hardware is quite reliable.
- All the levels can be manipulated based on the age of the child.
- It is environment-friendly.
- Availability might be an issue.
- The stock is also usually less.
LewanSoul Robotic Arm – ????
The components of this robotic arm are made of high-quality materials. They are all metal made and have an oxidized surface. The whole body looks super appealing. There are various programming styles that one can opt for while building this robot. Control measures are also very innovative. The serial servo is very durable and can work consistently for more than a month.
- It is recommended for an age group of 12 years and up.
- You only need one mouse to control the entire robot arm.
- Multiple programming styles can be incorporated, including computer and mobile phone programming.
- The competition is very high quality which means that the entire kit is durable.
- It does not come with an assembly manual.
Fischertechnik ROBO TX ElectroPneumatic Set – ?????
This is a very cool robotics kit. It consists of 440 parts and can quickly build four different models. If you want to learn about vacuum technology and electro pneumatics, then go for this robot without hesitation. The parts are color sorted. One can quickly build a ball obstacle course and a pinball machine. The compressor, miniature motor, solenoid valves, etc. are all included in the kit.
- This construction set is ideal for beginners and professionals.
- All the blocks can be fitted together to create something very logical.
- It uses unique concepts of vacuum technology and electro pneumatics.
- The compact compressor guarantees the flow of compressed air in the model.
- The electronic parts contain lead.
- It should at no cost be swallowed, or it will be very harmful.
XiaoR Geek Smart Robot Tank – ???
This product is an excellent idea if you are looking for a robot that creates lesser noise but is equally attractive to build. It is electroplated, and the base material is composed of aluminum. If your kid is in love with tanks or military-inspired toys, then go for it without giving it a second thought. The tracks of this robot are made of suitable quality plastic. Users can add a variety of sensors on the robot platform.
- It is excellent for developing DIY abilities of children.
- The company of this robot also provides technical assistance if at all you need it.
- The mobile platform available at this robot is fully compatible with many accessible controllers.
- The robot is composed of high-quality aluminum alloy.
- The best part is that it creates minimum noise.
- Tracks may snap apart.
- The wires are not marked with positive or negative.
IQ-KEY Perfect 1000 Educational Assembly Toy – ???
Another great robot idea if you’re looking for educational robot kits for beginners. It is a kit of 100 pieces, and up to 40 models can be prepared from it. The material that the kit is composed of is polycarbonate, and as such, the working of the robot can be understood easily by observing it. This robot is a unique gift idea for all ages, and as such, the money invested won’t be wasted.
- Multiple models can be made from the same kit.
- It is suitable for all ages.
- It is an excellent toy for introducing science and engineering to your kids.
- One can assemble blocks in ways that suit them and as such, enhances creativity.
- None as such.
Makeblock mBot Robot Kit – ???
This robot kit for beginners has been manufactured by Makeblock, who is a very reliable brand in the scene of STEAM education solutions. The robot comes with multiple mode options. One can follow the guide to create models according to themselves or can run their brains to make something entirely unique. The app is compatible with both iOS and Android, and it can also be upgraded using the add on package.
- It is manufactured by a well-known brand.
- It can be built according to one’s creativity.
- The time that is required to build is a mere 15 minutes.
- It can avoid obstacles and follows lines.
- 4 AA batteries are required which don’t come with the set.
- Upgradation process is payable additionally.
What to look for in an excellent robotics set?
A great robotic kit should look unique but shouldn’t compromise with the education that you would like to impart through it. Thus, any robot that supports STEM and STEAM education is a huge thumbs up. The perfect programmable robot kits for beginners must-have elements of building, connections and then the programming part.
Progression is also a good consideration. If your robotics kit comes with increasing levels of complexity, then it’s ok to consider spending a little more on it. However, if a robot kit comes in just one design, then it may become a bit boring quickly. But then, that’s what eBay is for, right?
Critical points for consideration before buying
- Reasonable price: If the product is expensive it should offer an easy introduction but also have various levels of progression.
- The composition of parts: These parts should be made of non-hazardous materials. Also, pay very much attention to choking hazards if you are buying for young children.
- Connections: Right quality parts come with threaded attachments and as such, can be connected easily.
- Time taken: Go for a kit that takes average time to build. Something that takes a lot of time can turn out boring while something that can be constructed quickly might get discarded early.
- Battery: If the battery is available, then make sure you buy it while it lasts as not a lot of products offer batteries with the kits.
Final thoughts on programmable robot kits for beginners
Looking for programmable robots online can become a tricky task if you do not have any prior knowledge in this field.
All of the suggestions above are excellent quality, and you can confidently purchase any of them and be happy. They are excellent ideas if you would like to introduce STEAM and STEM education in a fun way or just want to tinker with robots.
Did you decide to buy anything from our list? If yes, don’t forget to mention it in the comments down below!